My thoughts on Getting To Happy


After 16 days, a missed book club meeting, two big class assignments, helping with a play with my sorority, and countless events than one does while decorating a house, I have finally finished Terry McMillan new book Getting To Happy. Since it has been 15 years since I have read Waiting to Exhale (I read twice in high school - including once before I saw the movie), I had to picture the main characters as what they played in the movie. For example: when I read Savannah's part, I thought of Whitney. It helped me keep track who was who. Since I know that some people haven't read the book, I'll give some thoughts about the book without giving it away.

To me, it felt like most of the main characters have not learned anything in the last 15 years.

I think one character was not in the book because of what happen to the person who played him/her (in the Waiting to Exhale movie) in real life. And I'm not talking about Whitney.

Why were the teenage girls, particuarly Sparrow and Taylor, had more sense than the adults?

Towards the end of the book, one of the relationships started way too fast.

Hugs to Tyrek and his family.

One of the characters' issues and how she dealt with it reminded me of what Terry went through a few years ago.

I was disappointed at the end of the book. I was thinking "That's it?" Maybe I thought more would happen. Or maybe it was I waited 5 years for it and this was all I got.

In closing, I thought it was an OK book. Not bad, but could have been better. I was hoping this was going to be really good since The Interruption of Everything was kind of a letdown. Fox has already bought the rights to the movie and the screenplay was recently completed. I hope they do some modifications for the movie and add some to the story like they did to How Stella Got Her Groove Back. But they should have left Waiting to Exhale alone. But that's another blog post.

ETA 2/19/12 Added link in last sentence regarding plans for Getting To Happy Movie and Nippy's passing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2012 South Carolina Book Fesitval

National Book Club Conference 2011

10 Best Fiction Books of 2010