Book News You Can Use 1/30/15

 
By the time your read this, there is a good chance that I've finished this book, but I'm going to tell you about it anyway. My Friday Reads is Into the Go-Slow by Bridgett Davis. It's 1987 and Angie's life has been stuck in neutral since her older sister Ella died in Nigeria three years earlier.  After college graduation, she decides to go to Nigeria to trace her sister's last days and finds herself in the meantime.  I decided to bump this book to the top of my reading list after the Blerd Book Club decided to make it their January section.  I've enjoyed it, but since I'm close to the end, the route it has taken the last few pages I've read has me scratching my head.  I look forward to the discussion about the book on February 8.

Relax in Paradise Margaret Bloy Graham, Tadeusz Konwicki, and Colleen McCullough.

Publishers Weekly has a list of the most anticipated book adaptations (on the big screen) of 2015.

Simon and Schuster has started a new imprint.

It's taken 20 years, but Martin Scorsese will finally make a movie based on the novel Silence.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is back in a new book, approved by the estate of Steig Larsson.

A new Salman Rushdie book will be released in September.

Here is a list of suggested books by Black authors that should become films.  I NEED FOR SOMEONE TO MAKE A 32 CANDLES MOVIE.

Self-help and graphic novels were hot in 2014. Religious fiction, not so much.

Here is an essay from the late Walter Dean Myers about reading.

Speaking of Myers, one of his short stories will be featured in an YA anthology (by We Need Diverse Books) that will be released in 2017.  It's the story in the middle.

Tayari Jones talks to Ravi Howard on his new book, taking liberties with facts and the South.

Here is a review of the upcoming book Delicious Foods by James Hannnaham.

Here is a review of another upcoming book. This one is about Disgruntled by Asali Solomon.

Last, but not least, I would like to give some special shout-outs to some of my Twitter peeps. Two of my Twitter friends have decided to start a book podcast. Their first ones about Eric Jerome Dickey and Americanah were released this week.  Another Twitter friend (who has written and self-published one book), has signed a deal to release two YA books with HarperCollins!  Congratulations to all three of them! WOO-HOO!!

Picture is from the publisher.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2012 South Carolina Book Fesitval

National Book Club Conference 2011

10 Best Fiction Books of 2010